Friday, September 25, 2009

Fall Season first impressions

The 2009 Fall TV Season has begun and my DVR needs an ice pack. I'm all in this year whereas in the past I usually cherry pick where I'd spend my nights. This year, the new offerings are promising while a few returning champs maybe worth hanging with for another year. I'm always struck by the attempt of studios to convince us that we are seeing something new when most often we get mostly retread. This year, though, the studios have perhaps accepted the reality that there truly is nothing new under the sun and have reconciled their own creative deficiencies. Maybe I liked it better when they were lying to us... do we really need another procedural, CBS? CW, why are you mining Aaron Spelling's basement for ideas? Hey ABC, is Flash Forward this years Lost? NBC, why the hell did you give Conan O'Brien the Tonight Show only to neuter him by putting Jay Leno in the 9PM CST (10 ET) spot (not to mention kill five hours of possible new programming)? Who knows? That is why we watch the shows...

My favs of the new blood (so far):

Flash Forward - Is there another show with more hype? Not likely. The pilot was very good. The tension is definitely high and the cast is good overall. I had some nitpicks, mainly with star Joseph Fiennes. Dude was overacting just a bit. Yes, I know he has to be intense and bring a "Jack" quality to the show but man he was pushing it. I'm hoping once the season settles, he'll hit a stride that feels more in sync with the others on the show. John Cho was good, although I will also see him as Harold. But, he's growing on me. I'm definitely more intrigued by this concept more so than I ever was in Lost... (gasp) ... I know, I said it. I am hoping this can hold true to its core concept and not lose focus out of the gate (Heroes, I'm talking to you). As fans get prepared for life after Lost, this show might be the best candidate for filling the void. For now, I like what I see ...

Cougar Town - This is a damn funny show. Courtney Cox is hilariously self-aware in this show and seems to be winking at the audience. It works. Her son (Dan Cobb) is still finding way in the role - reminds me a bit of Michael Cera in the early episodes of Arrested Development. Not sure how long the gimmick will hold up but for now it's funny.

Modern Family - Ed O'Neill is great. The man has had roles that have single-handedly redefined the patriarch and this one seems to be keeping with the career trend. The show seems to be taking a shot at the "let's try to be as irreverent as Arrested Development was" title ... we'll see. The pilot was hilarious with just enough "oh, that is wrong" moments.

On the fence -

NCIS: Los Angeles - Um ... not sure if this show is really necessary. It's super cop corny with all the spit and polish you would expect from the producer of ... well, you know. My issue is chemistry. The original show works because the cast is tight and you know who does what. This cast really doesn't have that yet. I spent much of the time trying to figure out the purpose of the supporting cast. The pilot for the spin-off is somewhat convoluted and confusing with the focus on the redemption of a battered and damaged Chris O'Donnell. This has the makings of a "white guy lead" and "black guy sidekick" show which has been done before (and better). Hoping the don't land here as it will kill the show quick. Funny though, when the show starts to bog down the producer go to their ace in the hole: the always magnificent Linda Hunt. She really steals the show. Not sure if she's in for the long haul but she at least makes it interesting... for now.

Community - I really want to like this show. I fully expect to see the show labeled "the breakout hit of the new season" in the next two weeks. I've watched two episodes now and I'm really not digging this yet. Again, it's early but we've seen this show many times. Joel McHale is funny but again, it's chemistry. The cast is promising. Chevy Chase in a primetime show is a gift but they've got to give him good material. Right now his role would be better played by John Lithgow, not Chevy. Fingers crossed.

Glee - It's a musical show. I just keep thinking Cop Rock. That really isn't fair, I know, that show was poorly conceived and even worse in its execution. No doubt that this cast is talented. In a post-High School Musical world, there just might be room for a show like this.

Hell no:

Accidentally on Purpose - This show sucks. I laughed once. Jenna Elfman is awkward. That's the only word I can think of. The cast is pointless.

Eastwick - I thought we saw this show already when it was called Charmed. Not sure we are breaking new ground here. And on that note...

90210 and Melrose Place - I really don't get it. These shows are guilty pleasure classics and are revered in the annals of garbage pop television. These new reboots can't come anywhere close to recapturing what made their predecessors great candy... no matter how many old cast members show up. Besides guys like Grant Show has moved on, he's on Accidentally on Purpose ... oh wait, he might want to keep the producers' number close, he might need a 'special guest star' moment in his future.

Bored to Death - Um... yes, I was. This is horrible. Where to begin? The cast, the premise, the execution... wow! I guess it's a comedy but I couldn't hear my laughter over my snoring so I really wouldn't know.

Returning favs:

Big Bang Theory - This is a big year for the show. It could easily be the year where many late-comers discover the show. This is the funniest sitcom on TV, hands down. Please do not get it twisted, I like Office, 30 Rock, How I Met Your Mother but damned if BBT doesn't reduce me to a puddle of geeky, teary-eyed, head-throbbing goo... in a good way. The cast is incredible. And yes, obviously the core concept appeals to my nerd-tastic socially dysfunctional tendencies. But no one does it better. The season premiere totally delivered ... again.

Office - The good news is it's still a great show. Solid cast. Premiere was good, however, I can't help but wonder if the show is hitting a wall. It was definitely hitting sour tone with some of the episodes last season. Michael shtick can only roll for so long. I'm cautious ...

The Mentalist - I like this show. Simon Baker is much like his character on the show (which he egotistically points out in the premiere) he is the glue, the show doesn't have much going for it beyond him. The stories are at there best when they focus on the Red John storyline. Baker's Jane is determined and focused without the snark and silly "nothing up my sleeve" conceit. Yes, I said I like the show but it's mainly because of the potential. The second season could start to truly realize it.

CSI - So how do you replace three of your most popular characters including your lead? You reload. (s'cuz the pun) Enter Laurence Fishbourne. He joined the cast in the middle of last season and you get the impression that his Ray has a darker mission which will reveal itself this year. I gotta say the Matrix-like season premiere was way over the top and a pointless gimick. CSI has always had style over substance but the Grissom character grounded you throughout. Now, I wonder who the anchor will be. I will not even acknowledge the other CSI's as they have been devoid of new ideas since the launched.

NCIS - Well, if you have a successful formula, you stick with it, right? Now that the show has been spun, it remains to be seen if the mothership can stay the course. Mark Harmon is solid and helps keep the rest of the cast properly "Grissomed". The other thought here is, CBS is who we thought they were. All crime solver television, all the time. Boomer's love that stuff. CBS is programming 11 hours of it this season. Get use to it.

Sons of Anarchy - Who knew I would like a show about drug dealing bikers is rural Cali? I do. This is tense from jump. Season two is going like ... well, gangbusters. The addition of Henry Rollins this season is perfect. FX is a channel that really knows how to program. From The Shield (RIP) to It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. The shows are top notch.

Curb Your Enthusiasm - Love it. Larry David is in great form in what is meant to be the last season. Obviously, the focus will be the reunion of the cast of Seinfeld, but I'm hoping the season will rise above all that yada, yada.

Yet to review: The Good Wife, Truama, Dollhouse (Take 2), Fringe, Smallville, Heroes (Last chance), Hank, The Middle

Don't ask: Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, Mercy, Brothers & Sisters, Lost and Desperate Housewives

1 comment:

  1. Rav, you make me feel better about all the TV I watch. I didn't even come close to catching this many shows, nor did I want to. I do think FlashForward and Modern Family are the only new shows I've seen that were worthwhile, so I'm taking solace in a few returning favorites like The Office and The Big Bang Theory.

    ReplyDelete