Sunday, September 27, 2009

Thoughts from a beaten down KC sports fan...

Today, I watched the Chiefs get drilled by the Eagles, 34-14 in Philly. Ironically, with all the Michael Vick hype, he wasn’t even a factor in the game. Kevin Kolb and untimely penalties beat the Chiefs today. Yea sure, they were marching late in the game to score a garbage touchdown after not being in this game all day, but in the end it didn’t matter. Back at home, Zack Greinke (the one bright spot) put an exclamation point on his case for the AL Cy Young, while playing for a team who barely dodged another 100 game loss season. Man, it sucks to be a fan in Kansas City.


I'm not sure when things got so bad here, but pride of anything in KC seems to be hard to come by. I love living here. My family moved here 33 years ago from Omaha. Back then, that was a big move. Over the next few years, I would grow up with a Royals team that would become a contender. This team would play in two World Series' (winning one in that magical '85 season) and would make the playoffs regularly. Okay, the Chiefs sucked until Marty's second season but eventually the 90's would be filled with great moments from Arrowhead Stadium. It is hard for me to imagine there are adults ... ADULTS ... who have never known a winning season from the Royals or teenagers who remember more seasons where the Chiefs were at home in January versus playing in a meaningful game. If they did make the playoffs it typically ended with immeasurable heartbreak. My brother, the soccer fan, would point out the Wizards (for those who aren't aware, we have a professional soccer team) have actually won a championship within the last ten years... you can decide if that counts.


I guess I wonder what it would be like to be a fan in a city with a perennial winner. I wonder what it would be like to see your owner hoist a championship trophy or have a downtown parade or have ESPN do a dedicated website to your city because your teams kick so much ass, don't you? Even though we've had success with our neighboring college teams, unless you are alum of one of the school, it doesn't really feel like "ours".


I don't write this to rant about ownership of the Royals or the incredibly undisciplined play of the Chiefs, this is more about an inferiority complex this city needs to get rid of. It's long overdue. The citizens of this fair city are hard-working, tax-paying, God-fearing people and they truly deserve a winner ... a real, bona fide winner. You can argue all day long about what it will take to get there but the one indisputable fact is the fans here deserve better.


When the nicest thing the TV commentators can say about your football team is: "Man, this has to be the greatest smelling parking lot in the NFL." It's time for a change. When the best thing local commentators can say about the baseball team is: "Don Denkinger will never have to pay for a drink in Kansas City." or "Kansas City is a nice minor league (yea, I know) team." It is time for a change.


I hope Zack wins the AL Cy Young, he deserves it. More than this, I hope the Royals will become a contender again. I'm not a stat guy, but I know crappy baseball when I see it. I don't need numbers to tell me this. Offense has been one of the biggest issues for years, and nothing we do seems to change this. Whether it's trying to develop talent in our farm system (horrible though it may be) or trying to lure and overpay free agents who are past their prime, the formula is not working.


The Chiefs' outlook seems like it could be more positive. Yes, they are now 0 - 3 (again) but there appears to be a plan in place. The Peterson era ran about 3 seasons too long and, man, are we paying for it today. 26 losses in the last 28 games (not counting preseason). Ouch. 4 players out of 32 players who were on the end of last season’s roster are currently employed. Double ouch. By the looks of things, we must be still looking for those 22 guys off the street, right Todd? It really has to get better. I know folks aren't fans of Pioli's secretiveness or Haley's gruffness, but if they can bring this town a championship, I'm willing to deal with it.


As a fan, I'm hopeful and optimistic. As a Kansas Citian, I'm pissed and tired of the drought. Both of me, just wants it to get better. I really need to know what it’s like to have Sports Illustrated do one of those winning season DVDs with a cool helmet ... or something like that.


I can dream, can’t I?



Because it's the last time we had a championship parade in Kansas City...

No comments:

Post a Comment