Friday, September 11, 2009

Friday Flashback

This week I wanted to keep the 70's and 80's top of mind. I have a few classic tracks buzzin' around in my head. Let's get it movin'...




Okay, so let's consider this a two for one. So that it is stated, Chaka Khan is one of the greatest voices ever and before Save the Last Dance, Step Up and any other 'hey white girl, I bet I can teach you to dance hip-hop style by the end of this montage' movie was made, Breakin' was the best (yea a little cheesy, mug much Shabba-Doo?). The dancing was on point, Boogaloo Shrimp was the kid everyone wanted dance like. I chose this because of "Ain't Nobody" and my true affection for this song. It's a forceful love song that makes you bounce. Chaka is tellin' your ass that nobody can make her feel like you do and you better recognize!!!! I have to hit you with this and a classic Rufus clip because so many forget about the greatness of Rufus and when Chaka was hot...





Next up, is a little rock goodness. Yes it is Yacht Rock (if you don't know what that is, go here and here) but it's good nonetheless. Toto. Yea, I said it. Toto is really good. Let me put it together for you. The heart and soul of Toto was Steve Lukather, Jeff Porcaro (and brothers Mike and Steve), David Paich and Bobby Kimball. The band had a string of hits in the late 70's and 80's ... too many to list.

Sufficed to say this group of musicians had a long lasting impact on the music industry to this day. Lukather is one of the greatest session guitarists ever, working with Michael Jackson, Aretha Franklin, Lionel Richie and George Benson, in addition to being an accomplished writer and producer. David Paich was one of the most prolific songwriters of the 80's. Among the hits he penned: "99", "Rosanna", "Africa", "Lady Love Me" (by the aforementioned George Benson) and the truly awesome Boz Scaggs hit “Lowdown”. Oh and this little Cheryl Lynn hit (with the equally prolific David Foster) which also explains this (listen closely).


The Porcaro clan's impact is truly immeasurable. Steve composed my favorite MJ track, "Human Nature" (Lukather on guitar). Jeff Porcaro, before his untimely death in '92 was the session drummer of choice back in the day. His drums can be heard on the MJ hits "Beat It", "Human Nature"," The Girl is Mine" and “Lowdown”, he got his break on the classic Steely Dan album Katy Lied when he was only 19. He also played on the Don Henley hits "New York Minute", "Dirty Laundry" and Michael McDonald's ode to not being able to let go "I Keep Forgettin'". I should also note that Porcaro and McDonald both got their breaks with Steely Dan. More on that later. Steely Dan’s impact is a post in and of itself.

I could go on but you get the point... if you were a song in the 80's, chances are you were written, produced and/or composed by one of these guys. Nice.


Here is one of my favorite Toto tracks because love isn't always on time ... Hold the Line.







Jeff Porcaro with Boz Scaggs in '76 - Lowdown




The late Michael Jackson performing Human Nature live...



Michael McDonald telling his girl it will never be the same ... but he wishes it was.



So this next track is a personal favorite. It really is indicative of the time. Released in 1983, the Tubes' "She's a Beauty" was one part blistering guitar rock and one part 80's synth confection. The video is fun due in large part by the over the top performance by lead singer Fee Waybill and the direction by (fun fact) High School Musical maestro Kenny Ortega. And of course to keep the Toto connection, Steve Lukather co-wrote this hit with Waybill and Mr. "I write hits" David Foster.

You had to know I would connect the dots...
I will leave you with this. To bring it all the way home, Lukather and Steve Porcaro played on Chaka Khan's "I Feel for You" solo album. The title track's video features... wait for it ... Shabba Doo and Boogaloo Shrimp from the Breakin' movies. Your mind is officially blown. Damn!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You were Pop Culture before the term was even invented. My hat is off to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete